To provide controlled clinical investigation of the underlying causes, progression, prevention and control of aging skin and related disorders; as well as translating basic science innovations into new clinical products, treatments or novel applications in skin care. The McDaniel Institute for Anti-Aging Research strives for excellence and efficiency in attending the needs of the research participants, precision in all data collection methods, and innovation through education and research to benefit our subjects and our sponsors from the cosmetics/cosmeceutical, pharmaceutical and laser/light industries.
With over 25 years research experience as a Principal Investigator, as well as recognition as one of the premier laser and anti-aging physicians in the country,Dr. McDaniel remains a sought after industry consultant. Dr. McDaniel and his team have been conducting research studies on lasers and light based devices from some of the early FDA clearance studies for hair removal, through conducting the study that recieved the first FDA clearance for a Light Emitting Diode medical device using his pioneering work in the field of low level light photomodulation.
Over the past two decades Dr. McDaniel and his team members have focus on antioxidants, and new compound testing for the prevention of photodamage and other skin disorders. This testing has included work in cells as well as human subjects on novel new molecules plant stem cells,and a variety of test formulations for companies like L’Oreal, Priori, Elizabeth Arden, Johnson and Johnson, Stiefel/GSK and Allergan. The clinical division continues to reflect Dr. McDaniel’s interest in cosmetic devices by testing prototypes and/or advanced/novel procedures for Fraxel, Thermage, Alma, BTL Industries, Palomar, Cynosure and many others.
The list below represents a small number of studies in the history of the McDaniel Institute of Anti-Aging Research.
- Brauer JA, McDaniel DH, Bloom BS, Reddy KK, Bernstein LJ, Geronemus RG. Nonablative 1927 nm Fractional Resurfacing for the Treatment of Facial Photopigmentation. J Drugs in Dermatol. 2014; 13(11): 1317-1322
- McDaniel DH, Fritz K, Machovcova A, Bernardy J. A J Drugs in Dermatol Focused Monopolar Radiofrequency Causes Apoptosis: A Porcine Model. 2014; 13(11)
- McDaniel DH, Weiss RA, Weiss MA, Mazur CJ, Griffin CL. Two-Treatment Protocol for Skin Laxity Using 90-Watt Dynamic Monopolar Radio Frequency Device with Real Time Impedance Monitoring. J Drugs in Dermatol. 2014;13(9):1112-1117.
- McDaniel, D.H., C.D. Steel, and C. Mazur, Evaluating Cosmeceuticals, in Cosmeceuticals and Cosmetic Practice Farris, Editor. John Wiley and Sons, LTD (2013).
- Mazur C, McDaniel DH (2013) Nutritional Deficiencies, Diseases, and the Skin. In: Lifestyle Medicine (Rippe JM, ed) Second Edition ed., Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 939-52.
- Carruthers A, Carruthers J, Coleman WP, Donofrio L, Flynn T, Gold M, McDaniel, DH et al. (2013) Multicenter, Randomized, Phase III Study of a Single Dose of IncobotulinumtoxinA, Free from Complexing Proteins, in the Treatment of Glabellar Frown Lines. Dermatol Surg 39:551-8.
- Weiss, R.A., M.M. Deland, R.G. Geronemus, and H. McDaniel, Letter: Light-Emitting Diode Photomodulation and Radiation Dermatitis. Dermatologic Surgery 2011; 37:885-886.
- Oresajo, C., S. Pillai, M. Yatskayer, G. Puccetti, and H. McDaniel, Antioxidants and Skin Aging: A Review. Cosmetic Dermatology 2009; 22:563-570.
- Lewis J A II, DiNardo J C, McDaniel D, Cosmetic Dermatology, November 2009, Oxidative Stress, The Damage Accumulation Theory of Skin Aging & The Role of Antioxidants in the Future of Topical Skin Protection.
- McDaniel, D: Coffeeberry® Cream in the Prevention of UV Radiation-Inducted Skin Damage in Healthy Subjects. Poster: American Academy of Dermatology, March 2008.
- McDaniel DH, DiNardo JC, Lewis JA: 12 of Cosmetic Formulation of Skin Care Products, 2006
- Weiss RA, McDaniel DH, Geronemus RG, Weiss MA: Clinical trial of a novel non-thermal LED array for reversal of photoaging: clinical, histologic and surface profilometric results. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, February 2005; 36(2):85-91.
- McDaniel DH: Long Pulsed Alexandrite Lasers, Chapter 16 of Principles and Practices of Cutaneous Laser Surgery, 2000.
- Ash K, Kauvar A, Lord J, Bernstein E, Geronemus RG, McDaniel DH: Clinical Results of 585 nm Pulsed Dye Laser Treatment of Striae – a Multicenter Trial. (In preparation for publication)
- McDaniel DH, Newman J, Lord J, Ash K, Friskey J: Variable Pulse Thermal / Ablative Er:YAG Laser Resurfacing of Peri-Oral Rhytids and Side-By-Side Comparison with CO2 Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, February 2000; 26:208-214.
- Services or Expertise:
- Consulting for all phases of product design, development, laboratory and clinical treaty as well as launch and post launch media coverage and media education/presentation.
- All aspects of protocol design/clinical trial development including: IRB document prep and approval process, determination and collection of study appropriate metrics, and conversion of trial results/data to submission to peer reviewed publication(s).
- Digital clinical image capture and analysis,
- Blinded Expert Grader for clincal trials
- In vivo and clinical solar simulator trials
- FDA clinical trials and audit processes
- Histological staining, imaging and analysis
- Areas of Interest: Antioxidants, botanicals, plant stem cells cosmetics/cosmeceuticals, ethnic skin, photoaging, longevity, anti-aging, pigment disorders, wrinkle reduction, and home use light and energy devices.
- Equipment on Site:
- Latest models of: Canfield Scientific VISIA CR with RBX image capture capability, VECTRA H1 3D camera, VISIA-CA with complexion analysis software, and multiple Intellistudio imaging systems.
- DUB SkinScanner High Resolution Ultrasound
- BTC2000 elasticity meter
- Solar Light Co. Model 601 Solar Simulator with UVA1 and full spectrum filters
- Dolan-Jenner high power light source with visible light filters
- Moisture meters
- Chroma Meter
- Sebum meter
- Silicone profilimetry
- Skin biopsy and analysis (See Consulting Section for laboratory/in vitro services and equipment)